Logo

May 2021 Online DE Coordinators Org. Meeting
Davena BurnsPeters (she/her/hers)
49:23
Were there directions or information posted regarding the DE Coordinators Pre-Conference Session for Online Teaching Conference?
Michelle Priest (she/her/hers)
53:54
^^ yes please to this link.
Katie Datko
55:41
Hi All, here's a quick screencast on how to register for the retreat https://screencast-o-matic.com/u/WsV/OTCDECO21
Kandace Knudson
55:47
Yes, working on the correct link…
Kandace Knudson
55:57
Thanks, Katie!
Katie Datko
56:16
It's free -- you need to go to the Pre-Conference Workshops link, scroll and then click on the retreat. It is free.
Pamela J. Bimbi (she/her)
56:57
Will Labster work with us to ensure no break in service mid-summer term if we are continuing?
Justin Schultz
58:00
@Pamela - Yes, Labster will work with colleges that purchase the service through STAC to ensure continuity within the summer term.
Pamela J. Bimbi (she/her)
58:51
@Justin: phew! thank you
Will Breitbach
59:59
could you share the raw numbers - % of what raw number?
Andrea Hanstein
01:00:18
@Will, we can get that to you.
Gregory Beyrer
01:01:40
?? Can district classes be privileges in embedded search, or is only the home college?
Andrea Hanstein
01:02:13
@Greg, do you mean search engine returns all district results at the top of the results?
Jim Julius (he/him)
01:02:26
(Payment mechanism on the @ONE courses is broken right now… Instructure is working on it but Stacey Carrasco told me it is working for some folks on mobile devices)
Jodie Steeley
01:02:32
What were the total of students who searched and converted their search into enrollment?
Katie Datko
01:02:47
Thanks for the update. I thought it was just me! :)
Cynthia Dewar (she|her)
01:03:02
Do noncredit classes show up in the course search?
Airek Mathews
01:03:03
For website embed of CVC search, do we email support?
Gregory Beyrer
01:03:07
Yes @Andrea. Our college will more likely be interested in embedded search if the top results are from our college and our district colleges
Andrea Hanstein
01:03:21
@Jodie, I don’t have that number on the top of my head, but we can follow up with that in addition to Will’s request.
Jodie Steeley
01:03:35
With enrollment down at most colleges, I'd be curious to know what numbers are being seen in CVC enrollment compared with one year prior?
Andrea Hanstein
01:03:46
@Gregory, I just wrote your suggestion down :)
Michelle Pacansky-Brock (she/her)
01:03:56
Thanks, Jim. We are aware of the payment process issue with our Catalog site. Instructure is working on it, folks.
Andrea Hanstein
01:03:57
@Airek, yes … email support@cvc.edu.
Jodie Steeley
01:04:55
@Andrea Much appreciated!
Katie Datko
01:05:26
Congratulations Bob!
Jory Hadsell
01:05:44
@Cynthia - Noncredit (zero unit) courses do show up in the course search if they are loaded into the college SIS and are online. We do have noncredit online courses in there currently.
Cynthia Dewar (she|her)
01:06:03
Thank you, Jory!
Alexa Schumacher
01:12:12
@Cynthia - I just did a search yesterday - I see NC for Redlands and Santa Rosa Jr. College only ;-)
Ingrid Greenberg
01:13:43
Are slides being shared?
Cynthia Dewar (she|her)
01:14:00
@Alex-Great news!
Cynthia Dewar (she|her)
01:14:22
@ AlexA…I’m typing too fast. Apologies. :)
Ingrid Greenberg
01:14:38
Slides are visible now. Thanks!
Kandace Knudson
01:18:03
There was a good suggestion to replace that “where applicable” with a reference to whatever is in the COR
Jim Julius (he/him)
01:18:12
So it’s up to colleges to decide for themselves what is “applicable” with regard to student-student required contact? Or will there be a de facto state level standard of some sort?
CCC DECO
01:19:06
@Jim. Where applicable means it will be up to the colleges, in my opinion.
Bob Nash
01:19:08
In theory, student-to-student interaction could also be a bit challenging in online competency based education courses. Although, perhaps that could be conducted asynchronously.
Kandace Knudson
01:19:15
I thought the COR reference was a good way of dealing with that difference
Erin Larson
01:19:17
"Where applicable" also gives the flexibility back to the instructor. There is no federal requirement for student-student contact.
Jim Julius (he/him)
01:20:15
Agree, Erin. If the intent is to simply have Title 5 mirror federal regs and not set a higher standard, that makes perfect sense.
Brett Myhren
01:20:18
When selecting at least two from that list, it seems like people could choose a very “minimalist” approach and still remain in compliance.
Jessica Drawbond (She/Her)
01:20:21
Is the expectation that ACCJC expectations will also adjust according to the updates in federal regulations and Title 5?
Moses Wolfenstein
01:20:44
@Bob agreed with student:student and competency based courses.
Jim Julius (he/him)
01:20:51
Jessica, ACCJC only bases their standards on federal standards. They operate across several states
CCC DECO
01:21:02
@Jessica. Yes, ACCJC always uses Fed regulations.
Erin Larson
01:21:18
@Jim. These regulations really do set a floor.
Gregory Beyrer
01:21:22
Too bad substantive definition doesn’t say “academic and professional matter”
Jessica Drawbond (She/Her)
01:21:24
Thank you!
Lisa Beach (she/her)
01:21:33
https://nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fyoutu.be%2FHOrdDamnyYo&data=04%7C01%7Cjmiller%404cd.edu%7Cbf845917a39a4a7e18de08d90b53bb40%7Cc354694acce5489fb2a3a2a9d26e0c3f%7C0%7C0%7C637553276522774317%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=Qxm%2BTiAniCNWMQiTEQP7imvIs0lAALkTENUMI5Pg3GE%3D&reserved=0
Gregory Beyrer
01:22:53
Here’s a shorter URL to the video: https://youtu.be/HOrdDamnyYo
Jim Julius (he/him)
01:23:05
It will be really interesting to see if colleges decide to undo local absolute student-student contact requirements that had been implemented in response to the previous Title 5.
Kandace Knudson
01:25:04
@Jim, agreed. I think the ASCCC will have something to say about this in the revision of their 2019 DE white paper
CCC DECO
01:25:07
@Jim. These are still proposed changes to Title 5. Title 5 can require more interaction, etc., than the federal regs, just not less, just as colleges can require more if they want to.
Jessica Drawbond (She/Her)
01:25:11
It’s my understanding that the ACCJC will hold an institution to whatever local REC/RSI policies they’ve set. With this new “floor,” I wonder if colleges will want to make policies less stringent, as Jim said.
Jim Julius (he/him)
01:26:03
Exactly, @Joanna, and Title 5 used to set a higher standard, but now it seems that is being reversed
Erin Larson
01:26:09
"Academic engagement" is defined in the Federal Register: https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=81b8578b46c3d9a2a046af88208059b8&mc=true&node=20200902y1.23
Erin Larson
01:27:28
There's a typo in letter "i". It should say "all online or in-person..." The all important "or" is missing.
Kandace Knudson
01:28:36
June 18
Gregory Beyrer
01:28:46
Can you add that link to the chat?
Suzanne Wakim
01:28:51
When would the title 5 changes go live?
Jim Julius (he/him)
01:28:53
How “institutions are expected to ensure” engagement is going to be really interesting to see interpretations
Jodie Steeley
01:28:53
Students must be given the opportunity for an alternative to surveillance proctoring. They must have a choice. This aligns with their constitutional right to education.
Suzanne Wakim
01:29:31
@Jodie - that is an important addition.
Luis Gonzalez (Dean at Oxnard College)
01:30:42
Great point Jim
Moses Wolfenstein
01:30:52
@Jodie I would love to fire all surveillance proctoring into the sun, but I see this being an explosive issue with certain departments on my campus
Jessica Drawbond (She/Her)
01:31:04
Yes, Jim. I wonder if it will take someone being audited by the DOE to know what they actually expect.
Jessica Drawbond (She/Her)
01:31:56
When my college was audited by the Dept of Ed in 2016l they expected someone to go into Canvas shells and monitor every class, every term.
CCC DECO
01:31:57
Link to proposed changes: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HzC5lmF1Y-YAk1-8DM8zgg-dGFOLqbij/view?usp=sharing
Suzanne Wakim
01:32:12
It would be nice to get sample interpretations (like this one) as a resource for DE Coordinators.
Suzanne Wakim
01:32:31
A policy of saying "this is required in the syllabus" is a really great approach!
Scott Vigallon
01:32:41
@Erin: Will the revised guidelines go into effect at the same time as the revised Title 5 regs?
Jodie Steeley
01:33:00
There are new considerations for consent due to the new California Privacy laws enacted last year.
Moses Wolfenstein
01:33:17
Based on this wording, would the syllabus be sufficient? Would it need to be in the catalog or at a comparable location for students to make decisions before enrolling in a class with regard to something like surveillance proctoring?
Lisa Beach (she/her)
01:33:31
Apologies but I need to leave. Thank you everyone.
Jim Julius (he/him)
01:33:39
Thanks, Lisa!
Jodie Steeley
01:34:22
@Moses the liquid syllabus would be a great place for students to "shop" the course prior to being enrolled so they can choose before choices are limited.
Erin Larson
01:34:23
@Scott - some guidance will be provided when the title 5 is updated
Gregory Beyrer
01:34:28
Great point @Moses!
Jory Hadsell
01:34:48
I believe the intent of the Title 5 language is for that information to be available before enrolling
Suzanne Wakim
01:35:06
I think there's two different pieces. The participation piece for the syllabus and the "before enrollment" in the schedule
Piper Rooney (she/her)
01:35:19
Our ticket notes are required to have some of this information
Michelle Priest (she/her/hers)
01:35:31
Yes, @Suzanne, I agree....
Whitney Clay
01:35:47
Agree with the idea that use of proctoring should be included in the schedule of classes. Then they aren’t “surprised.” What? I have to take a test with Proctorio watching me!
CCC DECO
01:35:55
Link to DECO document for comments on proposed Title 5 changes: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1J_G2mmHWAi2zh8j7TmBc0LTkhm27o4jLetuqRZhU4Ko/edit?usp=sharing
Suzanne Wakim
01:36:00
So those "Before enrollment" could be on the COR that's public but super hidden. Students would never find it.
Jim Julius (he/him)
01:36:01
@Suzanne agreed.
Jodie Steeley
01:36:15
Can I say...it is really comforting to know many colleges have faced the same challenges. A bit frightening but also comforting. We can definitely do better
Jim Julius (he/him)
01:37:40
Some of you might be interested in MiraCosta’s statement on equitable use of cameras in synchronous instruction and assessment. It requires both schedule note and syllabus statement: https://www.miracosta.edu/faculty-staff/_docs/cameras-on-off.pdf
Jodie Steeley
01:37:58
Our college is interested in getting the proctoring network back running and expanded. I'm hoping CVC can assist with organizing this student-centered effort :)
Bri Kuhn (she/her/hers)
01:38:09
That is really helpful, @Jim! Thank you for sharing
Jodie Steeley
01:38:28
@Jim..Your college is such a welcome model!
Angela Cardinale (she/her)
01:38:42
Yes, interested too, @Jim
Audrey Blumeneau
01:38:44
@Jodie - agree!
Darnell Kemp
01:38:45
@Jodie We too want that and would like to be part of that.
Jory Hadsell
01:38:48
@Jodie - it’s on our roadmap, thanks for mentioning it! We’re also watching the changing campus re-opening roadmap.
Cynthia Dewar (she|her)
01:38:58
@Jodie-yes!
Moses Wolfenstein
01:39:27
+1 on the proctoring network
Kathy Schultz
01:39:41
@Jodie We have been part of the proctoring network and would like to continue, especially since we are not currently using any particular proctoring software.
Suzanne Wakim
01:39:46
Having the ASCCC draft a resolution like the Jim's camera policy would be helpful too.
Kandace Knudson
01:40:35
@Suzanne, agree
Jodie Steeley
01:40:36
Great to see so many comments about the proctoring network. The need has certainly grown.
Marina Aminy
01:40:49
Or... how can we support student preparedness without creating another inequitable barrier to entry for students?
Suzanne Wakim
01:42:00
Can CVC release best practices for interpreting the new regulations? Is that a reasonable ask?
Antoniette Aizon - MCC
01:42:11
Can a requirement be made when we are an open entry institution?
Marina Aminy
01:42:28
@Kandace: Yes, exactly.
Moses Wolfenstein
01:42:42
We’re trying to fold some basics into our new student orientation
Moses Wolfenstein
01:43:10
(So students are better positioned to make the best choices for themselves)
Marina Aminy
01:43:11
@Moses: That's what we tend to do as well, and would be an appropriate venue for that preparation.
Luis Gonzalez (Dean at Oxnard College)
01:44:00
Sorry I have to head over to my next meeting thank you
Jim Julius (he/him)
01:44:48
(Note that an opinion that it “strengthens” or “weakens” isn’t necessarily a value judgment on whether it is good/appropriate to strengthen or weaken)
Carol Impara (she, her)
01:44:51
Very informative - I need to go to my next meeting.
Wendy Riggs (she/her)
01:46:00
Thank you so much -- this is always SO helpful.
Brett Myhren
01:46:06
@Marina. I agree that the barrier to entry is a major concern.
Michelle Pacansky-Brock (she/her)
01:46:15
Can we see the results, Joanna?
Erin Larson
01:46:19
Thank you all
Debbie Lou Angeles
01:46:34
Thank you
Margaret Worsley
01:46:34
Thanks so much!
Cynthia Dewar (she|her)
01:46:35
Thanks, everyone!
Katie Datko
01:46:37
Thank you all! We will post links to the video and Google docs in the VRC!
Piper Rooney (she/her)
01:46:37
thanks!