Logo

September 2021 DE Coordinators Org. Meeting
Rhiannon Lares
01:55:39
https://cccconfer.zoom.us/meeting/tJcodeyrrzspHdE9Z5kx5ZxB5l-9MRrwMi6p/ics?icsToken=98tyKuCrqzkvGdWVsx6CRowqGYjoZ-nzmGJegqd4xSWwCDgGWBvUY-4Pa59NAs_9
Jim Julius (he/him)
01:56:00
^ click that link to get the .ics calendar file for DECO meetings this year.
Rhiannon Lares
01:56:15
Accessibility Document Repository
Rhiannon Lares
01:56:17
https://cccpln.csod.com/phnx/driver.aspx?routename=Social/Topic/TopicDetails&topic=1790&root=14
Nick DeMello
01:57:10
expectations are different
Rhiannon Lares
02:00:30
https://www.asccc.org/events/2021-11-04-150000-2021-11-06-230000/2021-fall-plenary-session-hybrid-event
Wendy Riggs (she/her)
02:00:52
Thank you Kandace.
Rhiannon Lares
02:02:35
https://catalog.onlinenetworkofeducators.org/
Jill Pfeiffer
02:03:28
Will they be recorded? I had faculty interested to attend but with conflicts.
Helen Graves - CVC/@ONE (she/her)
02:03:40
You’ll find courses on the @ONE website. You’ll find webinars on the CVC Events calendar: https://cvc.edu/events/
Andrea Hanstein
02:03:43
@Jill, they are. You can visit the event page.
Jill Pfeiffer
02:03:56
Wonderful, thanks!
Andrea Hanstein
02:03:57
https://onlinenetworkofeducators.org/fallintohumanizing/
Andrea Hanstein
02:04:17
Scroll down to “View Archives"
Andrea Hanstein
02:05:09
The College Success Team can be reached at support@cvc.edu.
Bri Brown (she/her/hers)
02:06:25
Thank you for the info on the Consortium. I plan to contact the College Success Team for info. In the meantime, is there a link that outlines the step-by-step process for joining/applying?
Andrea Hanstein
02:06:35
Yes, Bri. Let me post it here.
Bri Brown (she/her/hers)
02:06:43
@Andrea, thank you!
Andrea Hanstein
02:07:04
https://cvc.edu/about-the-oei/college-participation/new-colleges/
Andrea Hanstein
02:07:21
We want all of our CCCs to join the Consortium so please do reach out.
Jodie Steeley
02:07:51
Has anyone heard any rumors around the emergency DE Addenda?
Bri Brown (she/her/hers)
02:08:02
@Andrea, will do!
CCC DECO
02:08:39
@Jodie. Let’s ask Erin that one at the end of this update!
Rhiannon Lares
02:08:55
https://www.cccpathwaystoequity.com/
Jim Julius (he/him)
02:09:08
@Jodie I thought that was long gone?
Jodie Steeley
02:09:41
@Jim I thought so as well but it was reported to me that some colleges are still embracing it through Fall 21
Kandace Knudson
02:09:45
I think they’re local determinations of “emergency,” yes?
Lisa Beach (she/her)
02:10:33
Yes - my understanding is that it's a local decision to declare an ongoing "emergency" based on local COVID rates, etc.
CCC DECO
02:10:33
Yaaaay on the $115 million!
Kandace Knudson
02:10:38
e.g. an on-ground class in Spring 2022 (at LRCCD) that needs to quarantine because of COVID exposure becomes a public-health-related emergency and the class shifts to DE.
Nick DeMello
02:10:58
can they be applied to zero cost homework development?
Jodie Steeley
02:11:32
Thank you Kandace.
Jodie Steeley
02:11:47
Ancillary materials would be a terrific investment Nick. Good question
Micah Orloff
02:11:50
@Kandance, our VPI just mentioned a similar procedure should we have a quarantine situation for an on campus course that did not have a permanent DE addendum in place.
Kandace Knudson
02:12:07
YW, Jodie. Happy to share DE addenda language if you need it.
Nick DeMello
02:12:16
building zero cost homework platforms
Jessica Drawbond (She/Her/Hers)
02:12:26
When are the DE-related Title 5 changes expected to become official? Thanks!
Jim Julius (he/him)
02:12:44
So “emergency DE addendum” is not a system thing but a local thing, is that what folks are saying?
Jodie Steeley
02:12:53
@Kandace..I would appreciate that. Maybe others as well. Is this significant enough to be a topic for a group?
CCC DECO
02:13:23
@Jessica. Title 5 discussion coming up next.
Jessica Drawbond (She/Her/Hers)
02:13:41
Sorry about that! Thank you. :)
CCC DECO
02:14:09
No problem at all. Glad there is interest in the program!
Kandace Knudson
02:15:19
Here’s some language from one of our courses: Emergency Closure DE: During a college/facility emergency closure, this course may be offered via distance education. When taught online during a college/facility emergency closure, the course shall include regular and effective contact as required by Title 5 and adhere to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act. Course outcomes will be met by providing synchronous or asynchronous instruction using the learning management system. Assessments, assignments, and projects may be collected and evaluated via the learning management system.In order to offer this course via distance education outside of a college/facilities emergency closure, regular distance education curriculum approval must be granted separately from this college/facility emergency closure addendum
Nick DeMello
02:15:20
title V requires the addendum though
Antoniette Aizon - MCC
02:15:40
Will the Chancellor extend the Emergency Status since it ends December 202
Antoniette Aizon - MCC
02:15:44
2021*?
Laurie Vasquez
02:17:47
Feedback was from DSPS regional coordinators leadership workgroup and CAPED
Kandace Knudson
02:18:14
Thanks for the clarification, Laurie
Wendy Riggs (she/her)
02:21:56
These are really good revisions.
Leslie Reeves
02:22:09
Yes!
Joanna Sobala
02:23:18
Have ANY changes to Title 5 been passed yet or is it still being worked out?
Joanna Sobala
02:24:11
Thank you
Nick DeMello
02:24:59
Is there a “rough” presentation of what is proposed for §55005 available? (with regard to publishing course modality info before the semester)
Joanna Sobala
02:25:00
Where can we find the list of the federal changes that are in effect July 1?
Eddie Cervantes, Ed.D.
02:25:13
Is this presentation or a copy of the proposed changed available anywhere ?
Jim Julius (he/him)
02:25:20
Joanna, I’lll share that very soon!
Bri Brown (she/her/hers)
02:25:42
@Jodie--yes, I had that same question
Joanna Sobala
02:25:48
Thanks Jim. I am new in this role so need to find out. :)
CCC DECO
02:25:56
@Eddie. Erin’s presentation and all DECO slides are posted to CCCDECO.org.
Scott Vigallon
02:26:13
@Erin: So the part about RSI "among students (where applicable)" has been approved? That doesn't align perfectly with federal language.
Jim Julius (he/him)
02:26:37
Eddie, yes, you will be able to view these slides on the DECO website very soon. http://cccdeco.org/resources/ccc-de-coordinators-monthly-meetings-links/
Joanna Sobala
02:27:16
Kandance: would you happen to have a link? (I can't download the file.)
Eddie Cervantes, Ed.D.
02:27:31
Thank you
Kandace Knudson
02:27:38
@Joanna I will find it
CCC DECO
02:27:39
@Scott, ‘among students’ was a revision to title 5 from 2019. That is still in title 5, though not part of the federal regulations.
Jim Julius (he/him)
02:27:45
@Scott, the wishy-washiness of that doesn’t really impact alignment. Just means the language isn’t an exact match.
Scott Vigallon
02:28:05
@CCC DECO and Jim: Thanks!
Jim Julius (he/him)
02:28:13
@Joanna: https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-34/subtitle-B/chapter-VI/part-600
Laurie Vasquez
02:28:18
Agree
Joanna Sobala
02:28:32
Thank you Jim!
Kandace Knudson
02:28:48
Here’s another good page: https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/09/02/2020-18636/distance-education-and-innovation
Joanna Sobala
02:29:53
Thank you Kandace! :)
Erin Larson
02:32:55
Here is a link to the title 5 changes that were presented for First Read: https://www.cccco.edu/-/media/CCCCO-Website/Office-of-General-Counsel/45-day-text-distance-education-final-6-18-2021-a11y.pdf?la=en&hash=C2C3F925EBCA650F73BD80A9BAD7BE7AD0E0A90F
Joanna Sobala
02:33:21
Thanks Erin! :)
Kandace Knudson
02:33:22
ASCCC resolutions https://www.asccc.org/resources/resolutions
Jory Hadsell
02:33:34
Thank you ASCCC for your commitment to the CVC-OEI Course Design Rubric!
Kandace Knudson
02:38:12
Thanks, Geoffrey!!!
Rhiannon Lares
02:38:37
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SfzxRWRM-Wkg8WxF7YW4YQWvYQ-AQhBN4f8NCrFxljs/preview?pli=1
Lisa Beach (she/her)
02:39:22
Thanks @Rhiannon ☺️
Carol Impara
02:39:50
Thank you Rhiannon
Rhiannon Lares
02:39:55
https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-34/subtitle-B/chapter-VI/part-600
Erin Larson
02:40:41
@Jim - good call
Moses Wolfenstein
02:40:44
Thank you!
Bridget Hoida
02:41:08
Might anyone have a sample of Student Facing Language (for a student handbook/ student success handbook) for DE classes?
Kandace Knudson
02:43:11
Good question, @Bridget. That would be helpful if some folks can share this
Piper Rooney
02:43:32
We’re missing the BP 4105 because there isn’t one on CCLC
Carol Impara
02:44:19
Our AP was last revised in 2016. This is a very timely topic! Thank you for these resources!
Brian (he/his/him) Weston
02:45:17
Happy to share.
Bridget Hoida
02:45:51
Thank you @BrianWeston
Kandace Knudson
02:45:51
@Brian, did you all discuss HyFlex when updating this?
Jodie Steeley
02:45:58
Thank you!
Piper Rooney
02:46:04
This is a great example. Glendale has the AP with updates. I’d love to see a version of the BP if any one is pleased with how theirs turned out.
Joy Polanco O'Neil - Cabrillo TLC
02:46:06
@Brian, I would love to see an example, too.
Jodie Steeley
02:47:00
Did I miss a direct link to the google location Jim referenced?
Brian (he/his/him) Weston
02:47:16
@Kandace We are having a conversation about HyFlex in regards to class schedule terminology. It is a separate conversation.
Rhiannon Lares
02:47:23
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SfzxRWRM-Wkg8WxF7YW4YQWvYQ-AQhBN4f8NCrFxljs/preview?pli=1
Kandace Knudson
02:47:49
Thanks, @Brian
Chloe McGinley
02:49:01
Thank you, Jim!
Piper Rooney
02:49:14
It’s being approved by Academic Affairs!
Angela Cardinale (she/her)
02:49:17
We updated ours fairly recently and I just looked on our website and couldn’t find it. :( I will follow up
Maritez Apigo
02:49:27
Are you also updating your DE Addendums to match?
Piper Rooney
02:49:49
Yes to the DE Addendum form, @Maritez.
Maritez Apigo
02:50:04
👍🏽
Robin Kurotori
02:52:11
Question regarding the status of noncredit distance education and apportionment calculations. Is asynchronous noncredit distance education being done anywhere?
Carol Impara
02:52:34
Thank you all so much for an incredibly informative session. These DECO meetings are so useful. I need to leave, thanks again.
Bridget Hoida
02:52:40
Thank you, everyone.
Treisa Cassens
02:52:52
@Robin - our sister college NOCe does I think
Magda Walsh - Los Angeles Valley College
02:52:58
Thank you.
Rhiannon Lares
02:53:00
https://survey.alchemer.com/s3/6479770/Survey-of-Priorities-for-DECO-Monthly-Online-Meeting-Topics
Ingrid Greenberg (she/her)
02:53:01
@Robin, SDCCE offers noncredit DE, both synchronous and synchronous
Ingrid Greenberg (she/her)
02:53:15
I mean asynchronous.
Jodie Steeley
02:53:36
Have a great month everyone!
Wendy Riggs (she/her)
02:53:41
Very helpful session, as usual. THANK YOU ALL.
Micah Orloff
02:53:42
Bye all, thanks!
Jessica Drawbond (She/Her/Hers)
02:53:43
These meetings are always so helpful, and this meeting is a huge help. Thanks so much for all of your work!
Brett Myhren
02:53:45
Thank you!
Dave Dillon (he him his)
02:53:52
Thank you!
Katie Datko
02:53:53
Thank you!
Treisa Cassens
02:53:54
thanks all - have a good weekend!
Senya Lubisich (she/her)
02:53:58
Thank you!
Marvin Gabut
02:53:59
Thank you!
Wendy Bass (she/her)
02:53:59
Thank you - great meeting
Dr. Kristi Blackburn
02:53:59
thank you!
Jory Hadsell
02:53:59
Take care everyone!
Kathy Schultz
02:54:01
Thank you!
Piper Rooney
02:54:01
Thanks!
Rawan Shaban-Johnson
02:54:01
thank you everyone
Travis Du Bry
02:54:03
TY
Audrey Blumeneau
02:54:05
Thank you! Great meeting and information! So helpful
Ken Cooper
02:54:07
Thanks All!!
Robin Kurotori
02:54:13
Thanks all.Great meeting.